Thursday, March 02, 2006

Create In Me a New Heart O God


"Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit. Amen."

This offertory, taken from Psalm 51, is so special to me because it reminds me of my need to continually repent of my sins and call upon Christ to renew my spirit. ONLY by believing in Him can I
receive eternal life. There is NO OTHER way to heaven. What more can be said? It's that simple!

3 comments:

Lutheran Lucy said...

Why thank you Scottius!! You are very kind!! :)

Fredi said...

Hi Lucy,
here is one thing I don't understand: Jesus has already done everything this song asks for - why keep asking for things we already got instead of praising Him for what He has already done. He promised: "I will never leave you nor forsake you". He also promised that the Holy Spirit would "be in us" and "abide with us forever".

Unknown said...

Fredi59,

I think it for the same reason that the writer of the Psalm (51:10-12) from which this was taken wrote it. Sometimes we just don't have it in us to be able to praise God, even if we know it's the right thing to do. Sometimes you just have to start with this as a prayer.