Sunday, March 05, 2006

Time for Some Lucy Trivia: "LUCY RAISES CHICKENS"

Wow! Can you imagine a whole bunch of these cute little fuzzballs pecking around in your house? When I was in sixth grade, my parents said that I could bring home a chick that was hatched in our incubator at school. I was so thrilled with my new little chick who I named Harry. Though I loved him, I didn't let him walk around our house and leave messes as I am sure these little critters did in the Ricardo household. To make a long story short though, he died two weeks later. However, my fondness for little baby chicks was brought back to life in this episode.

I have two different books with information about each I Love Lucy episode. I Love Lucy by Michael McClay lists this as Episode #171. The Lucy Book: A Complete Guide to Her Five Decades on Television by Geoffrey Mark Fidelman regards this as Episode #172. Nonetheless, this episode was filmed on March 4, 1957. Geoffrey Mark Fidelman quotes the writers for the show, Madelyn Pugh and Martin Davis, as having this to say about it: "When Lucy and Desi lived in Chatsworth (in the San Fernando Valley, north of Los Angeles), they raised chickens. They were the oldest chickens in the world, because (Lucy) didn't have the heart to kill them. One day, Lucy got up and did her impression of her old chickens. We remembered it and used it in this episode." And Lucy did just that - she made a great "Mama Hen"!

No comments: