Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Apostles' Creed


This is such a simple but beautiful creed about the Triune God.


The Apostles' Creed

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.


5 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I love the creeds and our "old liturgy." They feel me with peace. They're so full of truth. I hope you know what I mean, as I can't express it well!

Mr. & Mrs. Traylor said...

How appropriate for the Holy Ghost to inspire you to post the Apostles' creed near the Feast of Our Lord's Ascension. Count me in, my hand is up, I'm here, don't forget me, I'm a " Whosoever believes " person too (remembering John 3:15-36,6:40, 11:25,John 14:12,Romans 1:16 and 1 John 5:10

Lutheran Lucy said...

Yes Barb, I understand exactly what you mean! It is so very important to know all three creeds! They are TRUTH and a good defense against the devil's lies and bring us back to the Trinity. I love all three creeds, but my favorite one is the Athanasian Creed!

Don + Lynn, thank you for sharing these beautiful verses with me. We would be up a creek without the death and resurrection of Christ! Our faith in Him and the eternal life we will receive one day is a TREASURE above all things! Blessings!

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi Lucy!

I wasn't raised Lutheran but have been Lutheran Mo. Synod since I was in high school. I've always liked the Apostle's Creed because it explains everything so simply. Like Jesus said, we need faith like a little child and to me this fits the bill.

Lutheran Lucy said...

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1 May we always hide God's Word and His creeds in our hearts to strengthen and sustain us at all times but especially during those dark times when we need to trust Christ with that child-like faith that you referred to. Thanks for your comment des-moines_girl! I have your blog and a whole bunch of other blogs to hopefully check out this week, now that school is out!! Blessings to you!! :)