Saturday, June 10, 2006

Lutheran Lucy Confesses That This I Love Lucy Scene Looks Familiar!!


Call this Lucy scene a little deja vu for Lutheran Lucy! No, I have never hit a concrete statue. However, I have had a rather traumatic moment in my life such as Lucy did in this episode.

Let me give you a little background information, leading up to the scene of the crime. As a child, did you ever get in the driver's seat whenever your mom or dad wasn't in it and pretend to drive? A lot of times my parents and I would drive around looking at houses with acreage in hopes of being able to once again bring back those "farmboy" days to my father. It seems that many times Dad would look first, and then we would go in to look around if he was really interested in the place. While waiting in the car with Mom, I would get in the driver's seat and pretend to drive.

Well, I would then have nightmares that I would be driving our car and then not be able to stop, running into the house!! I guess that God was just preparing me for a traumatic car event in my future!! :)

What happened did you say? Well, a few years ago, I ran through the back of our garage!! My husband and family thought there had been a big explosion because it was so loud! How did it happen did you say? Well, they say the story changes from time to time, but I think what happened is that the brake cover came off of the brakes and my foot (with "Lucy" sandals that I was wearing - they actually said Lucy on them :)) couldn't find the brake. So ... I proceeded to hit the garage wall in front of me which just swung to the left, and then I dropped about two feet onto the ground! I didn't think I was going to be able to stop the car from running completely over the fence and then into the Catholic priest's parsonage behind the property!! Thank God I was able to just put it into park so my little adventure could end!! Now do you see why I have a little trouble with car washes? I really get a little "freaked" if something comes near my windshield! :)

Anyway, my dear and sweet husband and son were so calm and reassuring which was a big help. Our son even commented that he was happy about me running through the back of the garage because I took out his old electric lawn mower in the process.

Another funny thing is that when the driver of the tow truck came to get it out the next day, he took off his hat, scratched his head, and said,"[bleep], I haven't EVER seen anything like this before!!" And, the only way that we could get it out was for me to back it up over a pile of layered rocks onto the concrete slab of the house. I was praying the whole time because I was concerned about me hitting the gas tank on the concrete as I backed up. Thankfully, I didn't blow the car up, and he got it off to the junkyard.

Poor car, it would never be the same after this little adventure of mine!!

I am thankful to say that God has protected me (and our family) thus far from any more car adventures with Lucy!!

2 comments:

Mr. & Mrs. Traylor said...

As I remember, Lucy usually included her best friend Ethyl Merts in her daily endevors, does your family have good neighbors like the Merts ?

Lutheran Lucy said...

Don, I had another "Lucy" moment last night because my comment I wrote to you did not go through!! :)

Anyway, we have great neighbors but not the situation like the Ricardos and Mertzes.