Sunday, July 23, 2006

You Have to Love This Comeback!











I received this in an e-mail and thought it would be good to share on my blog.

A woman writes:
My son serves in the military. He is still stateside right now. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him, and his troops, everywhere he goes, telling me how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them also. But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that ahead of several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked about the U.S. flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock. The cashier reached up and touched the pin, and said proudly, "Yes, I always wear it and I probably always will." The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman: "Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you are obviously here in MY country to avoid." Everyone within hearing distance cheered!

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

This sounds like an urban legend but the point is good. Most urban legends are, after all, about making a point. Another blogger and I agreed a few months ago that there were several liberal women in this country who need to be sent to Iran so they can see what real oppression is like.

Lutheran Lucy said...

Amen to that! I do realize that some people are misinformed and are listening to the wrong sources for news. There is so much propaganda out there and so many of the media with a liberal agenda, trying to just sucker more people into believing lies.

I agree with you and your blogger friend that the ones who have nothing to do but complain about our country do need to go back to their country, whether they are men or women. Actually some of the Americans who complain so much are perfectly welcome in my opinion to find another country to call home if they don't like it here as well. I know that is harsh, but I get tired of these attitudes!

One thing is for sure, we, including me, all have it pretty good here in the United States! We need to be thankful for all the blessings we have because it can change all in a heartbeat. Sorry, I will get off another one of my soapboxes now! I just have to rant and rave sometimes. We women have that need at times, don't we? :)