Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Best Way to Get Rid of Hiccups

Okay, you're probably wondering what this woman is doing, right? Well, she is getting rid of her hiccups.

A long time ago my husband, Scottius Maximus, told me that the best way to get rid of hiccups is to bend over and drink a full glass of water while you are bending over. The catch (besides not falling over :)) is that you need to drink on the opposite side of the glass (furthest away from your chin and closest to your nose). Try it and see if it works for you. It works for me 98% of the time.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hmmm...I'll have to try this! Our chosen method to rid ourselves of hiccups is to sloooowwwwwlllly lick a tablespoon of peanut butter. We love peanut butter in our home, so it is a remedy in which we revel. Many times the children have approached me with a false case of hiccups just to get some peanut butter!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Your method does work, Lucy, if you can keep from spilling water all over the floor! Often, just chugging a drink until you have to stop and gasp for air works for us. Boy, the angle of that picture is interesting! It took me a while to process it!

Lutheran Lucy said...

Barb, one little but important detail I left out was that it is better if one stands and bends over. It is a lot easier this way. This picture was the closest thing to illustrating my method (actually my husband's method :)). Unfortunately the drinking until having to stop and gasp for air doesn't work for me. Everybody has their own method, don't they?

Rebecca, your idea is one I have never tried so I will have to try it. I love peanut butter so I am game to trying it! :)