Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Lucy Freaks Out at Carwash

This Lucy has claustrophobia!! How about you? It used to be that going through a car wash such as one at BP or any other gas station was a normal activity that I could handle! HOWEVER, that has changed over the past few years, and I no longer find it amusing or fun to go through these car washes!!! My husband and son took me through one this past Sunday to "help" me get over my claustrophobia, and I was SO relieved when we were out of there!

The last car wash that I drove through was about two years ago, and I freaked out. I kept thinking what if those big machines malfunction, and we can't get out of there? I just tried to stay calm and say some prayers. When we got to the last step and that bar came down in front of our car and came towards my windshield, I was none too calm. I didn't remember seeing it before! I guess the telephone pole that had rolled down in front of me (on the windshield) about ten years ago when a young man hit it to avoid hitting our son in the backseat, (Our car had died.) left a pretty traumatizing mark upon me. It was explained to me by my very calm and laid back husband and son on Sunday that that bar is there on purpose to keep the car from going too fast and can be dried by the hot air shooting out! I just don't like being surrounded by those big machines! I wonder how many people are as freaked out as I am about these car washes!
Just call me goofy! :)

5 comments:

Mr. & Mrs. Traylor said...

Could it also be labeled a minor Anxiety Attack ? I can relate to that kind of fear so I guess I'm just as goofy.I'm just glad the first disciples showed us that they were only human too, when they were in the boat and they were tempted to Panic they went to Jesus. You might say we're all still in the same boat.Praise God ...the Holy Spirit helps us put our faith in Jesus, He still gets us through the stormy car washes, on our way to the other side. We are not alone,He is with us always.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I am claustrophobic too, but car washes don't bother me as much as elevators do. I hate those! And I hate even worse being on with some idiot (this happened mostly in college) that keeps playing with the emergency stop. Ack!!!

Lutheran Lucy said...

I hear you Barb! I don't like elevators either, especially old ones! I have to say that I never had anyone play with the emergency stop - I wouldn't be too happy about that!! Yikes! :)

Scottius Maximus said...

I guess our therapy didn't take. We'll go back again this Sunday.

Lutheran Lucy said...

Very funny dear!! :) I WILL accept the challenge though! :)