Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Are You Thankful for Your Spouse?


When is the last time you told your spouse thank you for something or for doing something for you? Are you truly thankful for him or her, or are you always thinking of things that disturb you about him or her? Do you encourage him or her? If we are all truly honest with ourselves, we can most likely think of a time or period of time when we have all focused more on the faults of our spouses than our own faults, rather sins. But then we need to look at ourselves. Have we been treating our spouse with unconditional love and respect? One of the many things that I have learned from our two pastors is that before I start pointing the finger at my spouse or anyone else for that matter, I need to look at my own sins first. There is a time for lovingly expressing my hurts and frustrations with my spouse, don't get me wrong. However, I really need to reflect upon my thoughts, attitudes, and actions and see if I am being a blessing or a disturbance to my spouse or whomever in my life. Believe me, I will be the first one to tell you that I am a selfish human being and can be really good about putting my needs first. I am just thankful that my Scottius is gracious and forgiving. Even though it has been many years since our troubles, I still remember so vividly HOW HARD it was without him and HOW BLESSED I am to have him! I think we both learned from those days the hard way how lonely life was without each other. Thanks to God we have each other! What a real blessing that is!! :)


4
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

7 comments:

Rick said...

Great post, Lucy. I echo some of your sentiments here.

Lutheran Lucy said...

Thanks Rick! I really appreciated your post about your wife! And, I am impressed with your "linking" abilities!

Rick said...

Thanks Lucy. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

It's easy to get wrapped up in what we are owed, isn't it? It's great when a husband and wife can learn to forgive each other and work through things together. Hard, but great. :) Good thing we have help, if ya know what I mean! And I am thankful for my spouse!

Lutheran Lucy said...

Amen to that Barb!! :) How do couples make it without Christ?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

You've been tagged! Check my blog for the info.

Lutheran Lucy said...

Okey dokey! :)