Friday, July 28, 2006

One Day at a Time














One of the biggest lessons that I have had to learn this past year is to
take life one day at a time. Now I have always known that, but somehow
God has had to wack me over the head with His frying pan to make it
hit home!!!! Being a teacher, I have always tried to be a planner and
plan in advance. Now, there is nothing wrong with planning. Just don't
try to get ahead of God. This poem that I am about to share with you
fellow bloggers was given to me by my husband's business partner,
and Matthew 6:25-34 comes to my mind when I read this poem.

One Day at a Time

There are two days in every week about which you should not
worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is yesterday with its mistakes and cares, its faults
(better known as sins) and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday
has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot
undo a single act we performed: we cannot erase a single word we
said. Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow with its
possible adversities, its burdens, its large promise and poor
performance.

Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask
of clouds-but it will rise. Until it does we have no stake in
tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day-today. Any person can fight the battles
of just one day. It is only when you and I add the burdens of
these two awful eternities-yesterday and tomorrow- that we break down.

It is not the experience of today that drives men mad-it is remorse
or bitterness for something that happened yesterday and the dread
of what tomorrow may bring.

Let us therefore, live but one day at a time. Author Unknown

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[b]?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

4 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

That's such a help to read, Lucy! There are lots of "future" things I am fretting about right now. I need to do what I can in the day I'm in and leave the rest to God. At least with the help of some wise people I am learning to leave my past mistakes behind.

Lutheran Lucy said...

I think it is a struggle that we all deal with, don't you think? Of course, some people are more prone to fretting or worrying than others. God has brought me a long way; however, I have that tendency to fret and worry more that I should (We are not to fret or worry at all though, right?) When those times come, I just have to try and pray, take a deep breath, read God's Word (or recall it if I am not in a place where I can read it at that moment), and ask Christ to help me get through that next step. I have to admit though that sometimes I am stuck in that moment and kind of "freeze" in that state for a few seconds and then realize that I need to be fighting this God's way and not my way.

Remember, inch by inch it's a cinch, but yard by yard it's hard! And when we are weak, then we are strong in the Lord!! I will continue to pray for you and your family, but I will keep this in mind when I pray for you!
You are a special person Barb, and the devil just wants to thrawt God's plans
for you and your family! He does for all of us, but we won't let him!!! :)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

You're so kind, Lucy! Today's sermon at church was a wonderful help, really applicable to my situation! Odd how often that happens. :)

Lutheran Lucy said...

Yes, God knows our needs and how to minister us! I will keep praying!! :)