Saturday, June 23, 2007

Help! My Poinsetta is Dying!







Scottius and I have been so excited because our Christmas poinsetta was actually looking great after I had pruned it back about 5 weeks ago. It has been exciting to see the new growth - all the new leaves! However, suddenly it has taken a turn for the worse! I have been trying to keep it moist without overwatering it, but the leaves have began to wilt. I have also had it in indirect light as the instructions suggested. Any suggestions from any of you green thumbers? :) I would so love to keep it alive this year!!

7 comments:

Marie N. said...

Hi Lucy,
I keep checking back to see if anyone has had any tips for you. I could benefit from them as well. Perhaps you have to work in a greenhouse to know some proprietary secrets. Is there a poinsettia conspiracy?!?!

I remember my mom could get them to bloom again. She used to put a paper bag over them sometimes. She said something about them needing 12 hours of dark and 12 hours of light inorder for the leaves to turn red.
Mine don't usually have leaves for long after I bring them home.

ofc@insightbb.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lutheran Lucy said...

Hi Marie! Well, our poinsettia died a few days ago; however, Scottius and I now think we know why our plants have died the last two years. After we cut the branches back (and the new leaves start growing in), we should fertilize it. So...we will definitely do that next year. Yes, I have heard about putting them in the dark after September or October. That's great your mom could get them to bloom again! It sounds like she had a good strategy! I am bound determined to get ours to live next year!! How about you? Are you up for another try? :)

Marie N. said...

Hi Lucy, probably not. My plants have to contend with an additional predator, our dumb cat thinks she should eat them. I don't want to find out if the poinsettia is poisonous to felines (as it is to people).

Lutheran Lucy said...

I understand about that "additional predator". Samson has discovered he likes to eat a few of our plants except for the poinsettia and Christmas cactus, thank goodness! We have had to get rid of a couple of plants so he wouldn't be tempted anymore. The vet said that most houseplants are not poisonous except for the ones I mentioned. You are smart to play it safe. We still keep a good eye on Sammy around these plants. If he showed the slightest interest, they would be gone.

Scottius Maximus said...

Luce!

Are you sure they're poisonous?

Melody said...

The pointsettia is not poisonous, but will upset their stomach, as does any plant animals like to eat. Causes Diahrea and vomiting in animals and people but are not toxic. They do cause problems for people with latex allergies.

http://gardening.about.com/od/winterinthegarden/a/Poinsettia_2.htm