Sunday, August 06, 2006

After Barb the evil genious' comment on my previous post about faith and education, I thought I should clarify myself. She brought up some great points. I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong impression. I believe that parents should instill in their children but not cram down their throats the importance of having a solid faith in Christ, relying upon His Word daily, and seeking His will daily through prayer so that they will discover their interests and God-given talents, pursue their goals, and be able to support themselves. This should be for both girls and boys. Our children need to be strong and able to survive in this world spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally, and educationally. It doesn't mean that we should just focus on the spiritual side and let the educational side or other parts of their lives just blow off into the wind. There has to be balance.

My main intention for posting Martin Luther's comment was to offer encouragement to other parents, particularly home-schooling parents (All parents teach though.). As a home-schooling mom I go through my times when I doubt that I am doing a good job as our children's teacher. As with all issues, I just have to pray for God's grace, truth, wisdom, and discernment. I know that this is the path that our family has chosen, and we believe that it is the right choice. And though I must always strive to teach all the necessary subjects and skills, teaching our children about Christ is the top priority.
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

I hope that I have expressed my points more clearly!! :)

2 comments:

Hausfrau said...

I believe your intial post was well said and there was no need to clarify, but then again I agreed with you completely. :)

Lutheran Lucy said...

Hello Pastor's Wife! Thanks for your comment! I really appreciate it! Sometimes I just go on and on! :) It must be the teacher in me!

I read a few of your posts and really enjoyed them and look forward to visiting your blog again!! Blessings! Thanks again!